Ya, I know I am cricket blogger but; I just can’t resist myself to write an article for the greatest football player of all time, the man who can create magic on the field, the man who can single-handedly win matches for his team. Yes, you guessed it right. He is none another than Lionel Messi.
Messi, is celebrating his 33rd birthday today.
Lionel Andrés Messi Cuccittini, was born on born 24 June 1987. His birthplace is Rosario, Argentina. Currently, he is the captain of FC Barcelona and Argentina national football team. At the age of four he joined local club Grandoli, where he was coached by his father, though his earliest influence as a player came from his maternal grandmother, Celia, who accompanied him to training and matches.
Very few people know why he points towards sky after his goals. The reason is; shortly before his eleventh birthday, her grand mother died. He was greatly affected by her death. As Messi is devout catholic; he has celebrated his goals by looking up and pointing to the sky in tribute of his grandmother.
Then, Messi joined the Rosario club; Newell’s Old Boys when he was six years old. He scored almost 500 goals for that club. In February 2001,he relocated to Barcelona, where they moved into an apartment near the club’s stadium, Camp Nou. During his first year in Spain, Messi rarely played with the Infantiles due to a transfer conflict with Newell’s; as a foreigner, he could only be fielded in friendlies and the Catalan league. His growth hormone treatment was finished when; he was 14.
Lionel Messi’s achievements and some facts.
- Lionel made his Barcelona debut on November 16, 2003 during a friendly against FC Porto and official debut on October 16, 2004 against Espanyol in a 1-0 win.
- He has celebrated his goals by looking up and pointing to the sky in tribute of his grandmother.
- He recieved a red card on his debut; for Argentina. His debut lasted a mere 45 seconds.
- He is the highest goal-scorer both for FC Barcelona and Argentina national football team.
- During 2012, Messi scored a record-breaking 79 goals for Barcelona and 12 for Argentina for a combined tally of 91 goals which is the most by any footballer in a calendar year.
- He has won a gold medal in Beijing Olympics in 2008.
- Messi has won a record six Ballon d’Or awards, and a record six European Golden Shoes.
- He has won 10 La-liga titles; 4 UCLs, 6 Copa del reys.
Happy Birthday Lionel Messi.
Thanks guys for visiting. Stay Tuned for latest updates.